Date:      Thu, 15 Feb 1996 13:04:31 -0500 (EST)
From:      "matthew c. mead" <mmead@Glock.COM>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        kmitch@vt.edu, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: proxy ARP on ethernet??

Michael Smith wrote:

> Keith Mitchell stands accused of saying:

> > I can't seem to get proxy ARP to work on a system that has two ethernet
> > interfaces in it (only one ip address though).  I want this machine to be

> This is an illegal configuration.  You will have to use different nets (or
> subnets) on each interface.

	You should be able to set it up so that you only have to use different
*IP addresses* on each interface.  FreeBSD should then forward packets between
the interfaces if you've built your kernel with the GATEWAY options.  If you
setup in this way, you will probably have to build arp tables for all hosts on
the local subnet that the two hosts connected to ether1 want to get to.  Also,
unless you want people to see your system with the two interfaces as a router,
you'll need to go in and change the kernel code so that it does not decrement
the TTL value of packets it passes.

-matt

--
Matthew C. Mead