Date:      Tue, 14 May 2002 10:39:12 -0400
From:      Brian Jackson <bjackson@conversent.com>
To:        martin@dc.cis.okstate.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Got X Windows Accidentally

Hi -

  The easiest way to add the cvs client to your system is to add the
non-gui package:

  pkg_add -r cvsup-without-gui

  Which will add the following package:
  cvsup-without-gui-16.1f General network file distribution system
optimized for CVS

  Building cvs from ports puts * ALLOT * of things on your system.

  From the handbook (http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/cvsup.html):

The easiest way to install *CVSup* is to use the precompiled net/cvsup
<http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/url.cgi?ports/net/cvsup/pkg-descr>; package
from the FreeBSD packages collection
<http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/ports.html>. If you prefer to build
*CVSup* from source, you can use the net/cvsup
<http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/url.cgi?ports/net/cvsup/pkg-descr>; port
instead. But be forewarned: the net/cvsup
<http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/url.cgi?ports/net/cvsup/pkg-descr>; port
depends on the Modula-3 system, which takes a substantial amount of time
and disk space to download and build.

    *Note:* If you are going to be using *CVSup* on a machine which will
    not have *XFree86* installed, such as a server, be sure to use the
    port which does not include the *CVSup* GUI, net/cvsup-without-gui
    <http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/url.cgi?ports/net/cvsup-without-gui/pkg-descr>.

If you do not know anything about *CVSup* at all and want a single
package which will install it, set up the configuration file and start
the transfer via a pointy-clicky type of interface, then get the cvsupit
<ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/development/CVSup/cvsupit.tgz>;
package. Just hand it to pkg_add(1)
<http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=pkg_add&sektion=1>; and it will
lead you through the configuration process in a menu-oriented fashion.

Post if you continue to have issues.

Brian

b.k.jackson@verizon.net