Date:      Tue, 4 Nov 2003 19:21:39 +0100
From:      Herve Quiroz <herve.quiroz@esil.univ-mrs.fr>
To:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Building Java ports from sources or not ?

Hi,

I was wondering if it is actually relevant to try and build Java ports
from source. Indeed I used to agree with this policy (mostly because it
allows the user to be sure that all dependencies are installed as well)
but it is quite painful to maintain.

Some Java libraries have specific Ant tasks according to the JDK used to
build. In such a case, there is no problem. But most of the Java
libraries won't build on a JDK other than 1.4 altough they may be used
in a Java 1.3 environment (provided you don't use the 1.4 specific
features obviously).

That's why I would like this subject to be discussed, as I am planning
of porting dom4j, which is quite complex regarding the number of
dependencies (mandatory and optional ones).

There's also the problem mentioned by someone else (I'm too lazy to
serch my mailbox sorry) regarding API docs related pkg-plist content
that differs from one JDK to another...

..and the problem where some libraries need to connect to some website
during build (often while building API docs), which disallow user to
install the port while he's offline (unless he use a package obviously).

So do we need to agree on some common policy or is it a "per-case"
issue?

Herve