Date:      Fri, 23 Jun 1995 10:12:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        aledm@pavilion.co.uk (Aled Morris)
Cc:        amoss@cs.huji.ac.il, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD as a router

> At 02:22 AM 23/6/95, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
>
> >I think you have miss understood.  I was talking about using FreeBSD
> >with 4 100BaseTX ethernet cards as a low cost router, when you compare
> >that to a dedicated hardware router like a Cisco it makes us look bad.
>
> Not forgetting also that you can't buy 100 Mb/s Ethernet Interfaces for
> Ciscos.
>
> (Well, you couldn't last time I looked)

And right now you can only buy 1 100BaseTX Hub, and that is from Grand
Junction.  SMC has announced theres, but just like normal it will not
be avaliable for a few months.  [Someone correct me if they know of
someone else *SHIPPING* hubs today, I don't want to read glossy sales
lit, I want to put my hands on it and test it!]

I suspect Cisco will have a 100BaseTX router on the market in about the
same time frame, they usually don't lag far behind.