Date:      Thu, 28 Mar 1996 19:49:36 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        sas29@vivanet.com (Ali Shah)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Perhaps a dumb question

Ali Shah wrote:

> I am kind of new to all these new operating systems and languages!
> I was looking around at LINUX info and also VISUAL BASIC...I ended
> up at your FREE-BSD web site. What is FREE-BSD? It this a LINUX type
> environment? Is is a UNIX type environment? Finally, will it run under

	FreeBSD is  4.4BSD for the Intel architecture and the PC platform.
	BSD is Berkeley Software Distribution.  Berkeley got a copy
	of Unix from AT&T.  Made improvements, like the C-shell,
	the vi editor and TCP/IP networking (the protocols that
	run the Internet) and made the code freely  redistributable
	to any one that had a license from AT&T.

	Since that time, FreeBSD has replaced all portions of the
	code that AT&T claimed as theirs (requiring an AT&T
	license).  Now all the code is available to you in either
	source or pre-compiled form.  FreeBSD supports the X Window
	graphical enviroment andr over 350 add-on software packages.
	All of this is Free!  The easiest way to get it ALL, is to
	buy the cdrom from Walnut Creek.  or download it from
	www.freebsd.org.

> Win 95 without major problems?!?1 These might be dumb questions..but I
> just wanted some info..

	No. FreeBSD is an operating system.  You could boot either
	FreeBSD or Windows 95 but not run FreeBSD under Windows
	95.