Date:      Wed, 31 Jan 2007 01:39:12 +0100
From:      Volker <volker@vwsoft.com>
To:        Max Laier <max@love2party.net>
Cc:        Greg Hennessy <Greg.Hennessy@nviz.net>, freebsd-pf@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ALTQ support for usb NICs?

On 01/30/07 00:20, Max Laier wrote:
> On Sunday 28 January 2007 16:14, Greg Hennessy wrote:
>>> Anyway, I've already checked altq(9) which describes the
>>> driver transition and I thought about patching the drivers myself.
>>>
>>> I've got a bunch of aue, one kue and a few currently unsupported
>>> NICs.
>> I could find a use for an altq patched aue ta muchly.
>
> aue and kue patches added to
> http://people.freebsd.org/~mlaier/ALTQ_driver/
>
> Please test and report back.

Max,

WFM.

Patched against RELENG_6, tested with ALTQ disabled and enabled on
that interface.

Using netperf I do see a (significant) drop in performace (using
really just one simple pf rule, two cbq queues - so not really
ideally) but as I need ALTQ for limiting some traffic on that
interface, it's ok.

While it's ok for me to see a drop in throughput, I'm really
wondering about. Using netperf, patched driver, ALTQ disabled I get
values like:

Recv   Send    Send
Socket Socket  Message  Elapsed
Size   Size    Size     Time     Throughput
bytes  bytes   bytes    secs.    10^6bits/sec

 32768  32768  65536    60.07       4.78

Using the unpatched (1.90.2.6) driver I get:

 32768  32768  65536    60.04       5.78

The only difference between those two tests, has been a patched
if_aue.c and a new buildkernel. No (or not that I'm aware of) other
code changes should have been fetched from cvs between both kernel
builds.

Beside the throughput question, the patch seems to be ok - please
commit! ;)

Greetings,

Volker