Date:      Wed, 29 Aug 2001 08:06:42 -0400
From:      "Kenneth Mays" <kmays2000@hotmail.com>
To:        murray@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.4-RC2 is now available

Murray & others,

1. Downloaded 4.4-RC2 successfully.
2. I have access to a Dell PowerEdge 6400 with Ultra160 hardware and 8GB
RAM.
3. I also have access to a QPS DVD-Writer USB 2.0 drive and the Adaptec
USB2Connect card on one of my workstations.

I checked the hardware.txt file to check for compatibility issues and
I don't see support for USB 2.0 support (I talked about this before) and I
only see support for Qlogic Ultra3. I also have the issue of having 8GB of
RAM.

I've read the posts and know that people have already run down this road.
So, I was wondering if FreeBSD has looked into doing an inventory of the
developers and common users hardware. I've seen this done in other BETA
programs. Resources are probably tied-up so its hard to support everything
in a reasonable amount of time so I understand that.

My solution to my problem is to see donate a USB 2.0 card to FreeBSD for
development purposes or allow log in access to one of the servers so someone
can work on developing support for the Dell PowerEdge 6400 (or any other
common machine (OEM spec)). Also, there could be another file saying what
laptops and OEM-specific servers/workstations are known
to work with FreeBSD 4.x/5.x. I'll be glad to spend some time doing this for
FreeBSD if this makes life better for the community.

I thought this would be a better solution than saying "it don't work!!" and
burning up 30 minutes to find that out.

Ken Mays
4.4-RC2 (28/08/01)