Date:      Wed, 2 Jun 2010 15:00:05 +0530 (IST)
From:      akash kumar <akashb503@yahoo.co.in>
To:        Fbsd1 <fbsd1@a1poweruser.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: minicom freebsd 8.0

Hi,=0A=0AI was referring to minicom command similar to one on linux. =0AOn =
linux the config file is /etc/minirc.<configfile> and the  Serial Device is=
  /dev/ttyUSB0, which was working for me.=0AOn freebsd  the config file is =
/usr/local/etc/minicom/minirc.<configfile>, but not sure what to update in =
the field 'pu port'. =0A=0AI tried with /dev/ugen2.2 but got below error=0A=
> minicom: cannot open /dev/ugen2.2: Permission denied=0A=0APlease let me k=
now what needs to be updated in the 'pu port' field.=0A=0AThanks,=0AAkash.=
=0A=0A=0A=0A=0A________________________________=0AFrom: Fbsd1 <fbsd1@a1powe=
ruser.com>=0ATo: akash kumar <akashb503@yahoo.co.in>=0ACc: freebsd-question=
s@freebsd.org=0ASent: Wed, 2 June, 2010 2:02:30 PM=0ASubject: Re: minicom f=
reebsd 8.0=0A=0Aakash kumar wrote:=0A> Hi,=0A> =0A> Can some one help me wi=
th the steps configuring minicom on freebsd 8.0. I have a serial to usb con=
verter running between my  board and host machine. =0A> Thanks,=0A> Akash.=
=0A> =0A> =0A=0AI take it a minicom is a external serial modem for internet=
 access over the phone lines.=0A=0AFirst off you better check if this is a =
windows modem.=0A=0APhone modems are manufactured for two target markets, M=
S/Windows (Winmodems) and every thing else. Winmodems are cheep because the=
 hardware controller function is handled by the software you have to instal=
l into MS/Windows. This hardware controller function is normally contained =
in a chip on the modem circuit board. Winmodems are missing this chip and d=
irects the modem to use driver software running in the MS/Windows system to=
 perform the controller function. The most common Winmodem chips are manufa=
ctured by Lucent. There are many versions of this Lucent chip resulting in =
each chip version needing a different MS/Windows software driver version.=
=0A=0AUp until version 4.4, FBSD did not have any solution to using Winmode=
ms, but with the release of 4.4 the ports collection now contains the "Linu=
x Winmodem 'ltmdm' driver" which was ported to FBSD. This port is very poor=
ly documented, only works with a limited number of Lucent chip version, and=
 can be somewhat unreliable. Your whole Internet connection is managed by y=
our modem and trying to shoe horn a modem specially manufactured for the MS=
/Windows operating system into FreeBSD is not the way to achieve a satisfac=
tory dialup Internet connection.=0A=0A=0A=0APlug the usb to serial converte=
r into a usb port on the pc.=0APlug the serial cable into the modem and the=
 converter.=0APower on the minicon, and boot your pc.=0ACheck your boot mes=
sages for the address of the usb to serial converter=0Aand use that address=
 in your ppp config for dialing your ISP.=0A=0AIf you can't id the address =
you need, then post your boot message log here for next step in help. Use d=
mesg > boot.msg.file to get a copy of the boot log.=0A=0A