Date:      Wed, 7 Aug 1996 11:42:32 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Gabor Zahemszky <zgabor@CoDe.hu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        1191140@beltel.telcom400.inca.za, DARBY@X400.telkom400.inca.za
Subject:   Re: your mail

Please, use a more descriptive Subject: line!  Thanks!

> Also, I get a WARNING : / NOT PROPERLY DISMOUNTED when I boot.  I logout
> and then turn off.  I am running on a standalone PC.  Am I doing something
> wrong to get out of it?

Yes.  Under Unix there are so many processes running, and the sytem has a disc
cache, too.  So you have to explicitly tell the system that you'd like to
shut it down (as in W95 :-).  The proper way, is to login as ``root''.  Or login
as you, normal user, and use the ``su'' command.  (Well, you know, under Unix,
this is the preferred method - as you see, ``Don't login as root, login as
yourself and use the `su' command''.  But you have to be in the ``wheel''
group, to use the ``su'' command.  To it, edit the /etc/group file, and
write your login name in the ``wheel'' group's line.  But to edit the
``group'' file, you have to be ``root''.  Catch 22.)
OK.  So: ``su'', and after it: ``shutdown -h now''.  It means, ``h''alt the
system.  If you'd like to reboot, use -r instead -h.  When you see the
``Press any key to reboot, or halt the computer'' - or something like this,
you can turn it off.

Well, there is a more simple way which may or may not
working to you.  Type ``sync'', wait a minute (OK some seconds), and after
it the CAD (Ctrl-Alt-Del) key-combination, as under DOS.  When it resets,
turn off.

> Also, is there perhaps a FAQ or giude to BSD on the internet that is
> intended for total begginers such as myself?  I am battling along in a
> small desert town with nothing but Win95 for 500Km around me!

Somewhere in past, Annelise Anderson (the only lady I see in this group)
sent a letter to the group:
----
For further information, there's a tutorial I wrote for users new to
both unix and FreeBSD, available at http://www.freebsd.org using the
links to documentation and then to tutorials..

It's also on my home page at
http://andrsn.stanford.edu/FreeBSD/newuser.html.

Or I'll send you a copy by e-mail if you ask.  It should be just what
you need at this point.

Annelise
---
(Her e-mail is: andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu)

Bye, Gabor
--
	Gabor Zahemszky <zgabor@CoDe.hu>

Earth is the cradle of human sense, but you can't stay in the cradle forever.
						Tsiolkovsky