Date:      Fri, 02 May 1997 12:34:51 +1000
From:      Joel Sutton <sutton@aardvark.apana.org.au>
To:        jim.chapman@sympatico.ca
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Floppy tapes

> I didn't try writing to the tape the time it was detected as a Colorado.
> I didn't know it would be the last time.

Fair enough. Not a problem. I had to check. :->

> Where is the source code for the ft driver? I assume it is in the kernel
> somewhere but I can't find it.

If you've installed all of the kernel sources you should find it in
something like /usr/src/sys/i386/isa/ . You're looking for ft.c
ftreg.h and fd.c.

> I will try downloading the specs from the HP web site and check if it
> supports QIC-117.

ft is definately QIC-117 command set friendly. :-) I think most
floppy tape drives use this command set anyway.

If you're into mucking about with C then here are my ideas:

1) turn on the debug stuff in the ft.c code to see what is happening.
2) change the probe code so that it thinks it detects a colorado
   drive every time.
3) see if that is any better.

If the above works then it's probably just the probe code that needs
to be changed. Email me back personally if you need assistance.

At least we're trying things. You never know. It might even work. ;->

Talk to you next time, Joel...