Date:      Tue, 31 Dec 2002 17:24:14 +0900
From:      Hajimu UMEMOTO <ume@mahoroba.org>
To:        hawkeyd@visi.com
Cc:        m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Multi-threaded or async Mozilla (NSPR, really)

Hi,

hawkeyd> In article <20021222154722.GA8522_happy-idiot-talk.infracaninophi@ns.sol.net>,
hawkeyd> 	m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk writes:
> On Sun, Dec 22, 2002 at 07:18:54AM -0600, D J Hawkey Jr wrote:
>
>> I can't imagine what Moz is doing within it's DNS code, even with the
>> serialized DNS lookups. If nslookup replies within fractions of a second,
>> why doesn't Moz??
>
> Take a look at look at the getaddrinfo(3) man page and then try doing
> a look up of the AAAA or A6 records for the troublesome locations.

hawkeyd> After looking at the man page, and understanding all of ~35% of it, I'll
hawkeyd> ask this: Are you referring to the oft-mentioned, ill-configured, INET6
hawkeyd> records in some DNS servers, or are you referring to less-than-correct
hawkeyd> code in FreeBSD's TCP/IP stack, or are NSPR's routines indeed flawed?

hawkeyd> I guess I'll ask this, too: is getaddrinfo(3) called by gethostbyname(3)?
hawkeyd> It's the latter that Mozilla/NSPR calls, and is the blamed culprit.

Mozilla doesn't call getaddrinfo().  Mozilla uses gethostbyname2() to
resolve hostname.  Since gethostbyname2() doesn't have a capability of
querying A RR and AAAA RR at same time, Mozilla calls gethostbyname2()
for AAAA RR 1st, then calls gethostbyname2() for A RR.

hawkeyd> For giggles, I disabled INET6 in the kernel, re- built and installed it,
hawkeyd> and the problem vanished. But this doesn't answer the question: Is it
hawkeyd> problematic DNS records, a problematic OS, or what? The second, I doubt...

I believe that Mozilla should be re-written by using getaddrinfo().

Sincerely,

ume@mahoroba.org  ume@bisd.hitachi.co.jp  ume@{,jp.}FreeBSD.org
http://www.imasy.org/~ume/