Date:      Thu, 5 Dec 1996 11:46:48 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        someone.else@montana.nwlink.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing FreeBSD on slave drive

On Thu, 5 Dec 1996, cjay wrote:

> I would like to play with FreeBSD, but before I install it I need to
> know if you can boot into FreeBSD from a drive other than the "C:"
> drive.

Absolutely.

> I know you can tell it to do that if you have a boot manager installed,
> but what I need to know is do I HAVE to have ANY part of FreeBSD on the
> "C:" drive? (master IDE drive in a 2 drive system).

No, it's not a requirement.  It depends on how much space you have
available.

> 	I run Windows 95 (I know, I know) from a 1.6 gig Seagate which
> 	is configured as the Master IDE drive.
>
> 	I just have some files in storage on a Maxtor 540meg drive which
> 	is configured as the Slave IDE drive which I intend to blowout.

Hey, I have one of those!  It was my primary FreeBSD disk for quite some
time.

> 	I do NOT want ANY part of FreeBSD on my Seagate.
> 	It can have free reign, however, on my Maxtor.
> 	Is this possible?

No problem!  I had the exact same situation as you (Except I had a WD 1gb
instead of a Seagate) until I swapped the contents of my WD 1G and the 540
(need...more...space!).