Date:      Tue, 22 Apr 2008 10:16:23 -0500
From:      David Reedy Jr <davidrjr@comcast.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Andrew Falanga <af300wsm@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Having trouble getting cups working

On Tuesday 22 April 2008 9:40:16 am Andrew Falanga wrote:
> HI,
>
> I've never actually tried to install cups before and last night
> decided to give it a try because I was not having much success
> getting my printer working using the handbook directions.  (I got it
> all setup correctly, obviously something is incorrect but stay with
> me, and although I could get stuff to print when I did 'cat
> <somefile> > /dev/lp0' I couldn't get anything to print when I
> submitted to lpd.)
>
> So, I installed cups from ports, and setup my HP LaserJet 4+.  All
> seemed to go well.  At first I had a problem with an error, something
> like "unknown application/postscript."  Anyway, some digging on the
> internet revealed that I needed ESP Ghostscript installed.  So, I got
> that and that error went away. Now, however, I still cannot get it to
> print.
>
> When I try to submit the printer test page from the web management
> interface, it says, "network host 'sniper' busy: will retry in X
> seconds."  The URI I'm using for my printer is, lpd://sniper/lj4.
> The printer is connected to my parallel port and I think this is what
> I want because the other options are whatever it is that cups calls
> JetDirect and then IPP and something else.

I've just been dealing with the same thing the last day or two. First
off, the uri you want is parallel:/dev/lpt0. The advise I was given
yesterday was to add the following to /etc/devfs.conf (requires reboot)

own lpt0 root:cups
perm lpt0 0660

or to...

chown /dev/lpt0 root:cups
chmod 0660 lpt0

After making that change, the parallel port still wasn't listed as an
available device (along with JetDirect, IPP, LPD, etc). I ended up
resetting my /usr/local/etc/cups/cupsd.conf file to default and redid
the settings. After restarting the cupsd I suddenly had the parallel
and usb ports listed. I'm guessing I had a typo in my original setup.

HTH.

Dave