Date:      Thu, 20 Feb 1997 09:05:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      Snob Art Genre <ben@narcissus.ml.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   What am I doing wrong with my DNS?

I'm getting some odd answers out of DNS.  For example:

narcissus:{/home/ben}% nslookup narcissus.ml.org
Server:  brosenga.Pitzer.edu
Address:  134.173.120.201

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    org.ml.org
Address:  129.186.203.225
Aliases:  narcissus.ml.org.ml.org

brosenga.pitzer.edu is the other name of my machine, that's just fine,
but the rest bothers me.  If I append a . it works fine:

narcissus:{/home/ben}% nslookup narcissus.ml.org.
Server:  brosenga.Pitzer.edu
Address:  134.173.120.201

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    narcissus.ml.org
Address:  134.173.120.201

I'm running named in its out of the box configuration.  Narcissus.ml.org
is an alias provided for brosenga.pitzer.edu by ml.org.  Umm . . .

narcissus:{/etc}% grep "ml.org" *
<cruft deleted>
hosts:127.0.0.1         localhost localhost.ml.org
hosts:134.173.120.201           narcissus.ml.org                narcissus
sysconfig:hostname=narcissus.ml.org

Is there any other useful info I can provide?  Thanks a bunch, I'm sure
it's something stupid I'm doing but I can't figure out what.

 Ben

"You have your mind on computers, it seems."