Date:      Wed, 9 Oct 2002 08:10:46 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
To:        The Anarcat <anarcat@anarcat.ath.cx>
Cc:        FreeBSD Security Issues <FreeBSD-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: access() is a security hole?

On 2002-Oct-08 17:23:35 -0400, The Anarcat <anarcat@anarcat.ath.cx> wrote:
>Also, this means that the stat() manpage should also contains a
>similar section about its non-fd incarnations.

I disagree.  access(2) is specifically designed to allow setuid/setgid
programs to validate access rights based on the real uid/gid - but is
virtually impossible to use safely for this task because of the
inherent race conditions.  stat(2) and lstat(2) can be used unsafely
but accurately fulfil their documented functions without creating a
false sense of security.

Peter