Date:      Tue, 30 May 2006 09:28:20 -0400 (EDT)
From:      sara lidgey <slidgey@yahoo.ca>
To:        Mikhail Goriachev <mikhailg@webanoide.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd 5.3, gmirror raid 1, PROBLEM

Hi,

 The machine won't boot from either drive connected as a master.  I tried them one at a time.  I'm guessing I'll have to boot from a CD but don't know the process.  Any help is appreciated.
 Thanks,
 S.

Mikhail Goriachev <mikhailg@webanoide.org> wrote: sara lidgey wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've been running a server using FreeBSD 5.3 and gmirror to mirror two identical IDE hard drives. Its been running great for over a year. But recently everything went down and when I reboot and put a monitor on it I get the following errors on screen:
>
>  GEOM_MIRROR: Device gm0: provider ad1 disconnected
>  GEOM_MIRROR: Device gm0: provider mirror/gm0 destroyed
>  GEOM_MIRROR: Device gm0: rebuilding provider ad0 stopped
>
>  Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode...  (this is followed by details about the fault)
>
> These errors are preceded by other related error information that flys by on the screen and I have no way of seeing them again.
>
>  Does anyone now what steps I should take to figure what is going on and try to recover data or get the machine to boot?

Hi,

Have you tried disconnecting ad1 and booting only with ad0? Maybe one of
the drives just died on you. Try booting the system with one drive at a
time connecting as a master (Primary on IDE1).

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
Mikhail.

--
Mikhail Goriachev
Webanoide

Telephone: +61 (0)3 62252501
Mobile Phone: +61 (0)4 38255158
E-Mail: mikhailg@webanoide.org
Web: http://www.webanoide.org

PGP Key ID: 0x4E148A3B
PGP Key Fingerprint: D96B 7C14 79A5 8824 B99D 9562 F50E 2F5D 4E14 8A3B