Date:      Tue, 22 Aug 2000 12:12:55 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Micke Josefsson <mj@isy.liu.se>
To:        Mark Hummel <mhumm@ispchannel.com>
Cc:        BSD ListServ <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Basic CVSUP question

On 22-Aug-00 Mark Hummel wrote:
> I've read the manual page and the handbook on CVS. It's way over my
> head, but I'm trying to push myself a bit here.
>
> I'd like to attempt a port upgrade via ftp and I understand I should use
> CVSup.  Do I need a sup file or can I specify my intent directly from
> the command line?  What exactly do I type to update only my
> 4.0-installed ports collection?  BTW, is CVS the same command as
> CVSup...and after I CVSup the ports do I do a make world or build world?
>
> Thanks for keeping my head above the FSD water.
>
> Mark

Install cvsup from the ports. CVS is not the same as CVSup.

Edit your /usr/share/examples/cvsup/ports-supfile file to:

*default host=cvsup.de.FreeBSD.org  <== Use a country closer to you than .de
*default base=/usr
*default prefix=/usr
*default release=cvs tag=.
*default delete use-rel-suffix
*default compress

ports-all

OR

select any of the individual collections mentioned at then end of the file.

Then as root:

#cvsup  /usr/share/examples/cvsup/ports-supfile

and you're off.

/Micke
("closer" is closer in the bandwidth sense, not geometrical:)

Michael Josefsson, MSEE
mj@isy.liu.se

This message was sent by XFMail
running on FreeBSD 3.5-STABLE