Date:      Wed, 21 Jun 2000 05:31:14 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Robert Swindells <swindellsr@genrad.co.uk>
To:        jmd526@hotmail.com
Cc:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: URW fonts

>1) I downloaded URW fonts from www.gimp.org/fonts.html.
>2) I placed them in /usr/X11R6/lib/Xll/fonts/URW
>3) I changed my /etc/XF86Config to include a line pointing the fonts

What did you add to XF86Config ?

Mine looks like:

FontPath        "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc:unscaled"
FontPath        "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi:unscaled"
FontPath        "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/URW"
FontPath        "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"
FontPath        "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo"
FontPath        "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc"
FontPath        "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi"

The URW fonts have the same names as some of the 75dpi or 100dpi ones,
so if you miss out the 'unscaled' keyword the server will just scale
a bitmap font instead of using the URW one.

This was from an earlier thread in freebsd-java. Search for 'URW'.

>4) I ran /usr/X11R6/lib/Mkfontdir (I writing from memory so that may not be
>the exact path and filename) while in the URW directory

I don't think you want to do this. It comes with the font directory files

>5) I logged out from KDE and did a 'startx'

>It was my understanding (from a post on the -java list) that the URW fonts
>would make Netscape look/behave much better (along with possibly making Java
>look better, but that is a secondary consideration for me right now) but
>when I start Netscape, I don't really see anything different.

>Have I done anything wrong?  Have I missed anything?  Are there alternatives
>to URW?

>I am using linux-netscape 4.73 on XF86 3.3.6 on 4.0-STABLE.

Should be fine.

Robert