Date:      Tue, 20 Jul 1999 10:53:36 -0700
From:      Roy Bettle <rbettle@criterion-group.com>
To:        Clem.Dye@wdr.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATX motherboard form factor question.

--------------F23335C0CE56F585D275D9E5

Clem;

Depends on the port configuration (parallel, serial, etc.) at the back
edge of the board.  Some micro-ATX boards run them all side-by-side where
*most* ATX cases have the parallel port stacked on top of the two serial
ports, keyboard port stacked on top of mouse port, etc.

This is not necessarily a "show-stopper" however as your case may have
shipped with mutiple plates for the backside (ie- you may be able to
simply screw in the plate that matches your board).  Check to see if your
case (presuming it's a new case) has a small cardboard box in it
containing the case's "feet", a bag with screws in it for mounting the
motherboard, a power cord, *and the different backplates*.

Other than this, the other "ATX items" such as power requirements will be
standard between your micro board and the more standard-sized ATX boards.

Hope it helps.

RAB

Clem.Dye@wdr.com wrote:

> Hi, this may seem a bit of a daft question, but can a microATX
> motherboard be installed in a case designed for an ATX motherboard?
> I'm sorry if this seems a slightly strange/off-topic type of
> question, but I'm just about to build my first atx-based system. All
> of my previous boxes have used AT form factor components, so I
> haven't come across this issue before. What's confusing me a bit is
> that I've seen microATX and ATX cases advertised. It would seem
> logical that a microATX case will handle only a microATX motherboard,
> but I'd like to go for an ATX case, if possible, so that if I upgrade
> the microATX motherboard that I'm thinking of buying a little later
> to say ATX size, I don't have to replace the case.
>
> Any help/insight etc. would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Clem
>
> PS: Please disregard the disclaimer text that appears at the foot of
> this message - my employer insists on adding it to all 'Net bound
> messages.

> arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses.  The sender therefore
> of this message which arise as a result of e-mail transmission.  If
> verification is required please request a hard-copy version.  This
> related financial instruments.

--------------F23335C0CE56F585D275D9E5

begin:vcard
n:Bettle;Roy
tel;work:(949) 452-1203
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.criterion-group.com
org:Criterion Group, Inc.
version:2.1
email;internet:rbettle@criterion-group.com
title:President
note:Businesses that depend on computers, depend on us.
adr;quoted-printable:;;26895 Aliso Creek Road=0D=0ASuite B404;Aliso Viejo;CA;92656;USA
fn:Bettle, Roy
end:vcard