Date:      Mon, 7 Aug 2000 12:51:16 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Yvonne Coady <ycoady@cs.ubc.ca>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   ffs_getpages()

Just wondering if anyone can shed some light on the changes in the page
fault handling code in 3.3 vs 4.0.  I've noticed that the async read ahead
that used to work for mmaped files via a VOP_READ in ffs_getpages() is no
longer there...

I've run some very simple (and by no means exhaustive) tests, and on the
surface the tradeoff appears to be that in 3.3 the disk is accessed
synchronously, 16 pages at a time, whereas in 4.0 access may be
asynchronous, 32 pages at a time.

I am aware of the fact that in 3.3, using the vnode vlastr field was maybe
not a perfect way to detect seq access for "normal" objects in
ffs_getpages, but I thought the asynch read ahead was a real bonus -
I might be overlooking something obvious here, but can anyone tell me
why this has changed?

Thanks,
Yvonne