Date:      Wed, 18 Sep 1996 23:11:10 +0000 ()
From:      David Nugent <davidn@sdev.blaze.net.au>
To:        Jerry Dunham <jdunham@fc.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: XF86 & fvwm Problem, Help? (fwd)

On Wed, 18 Sep 1996, Jerry Dunham wrote:

>I tried this here this morning, and it doesn't work.  The <ctl><alt>
><F1> part worked to get me back to a text console, but then I was never
>able to return to the X session.

Well, you can. Exactly what to press depends on how many vt
consoles you have enabled (which is a kernel compile option -
take a look at /sys/i386/conf/LINT for details). Take a look at
your /etc/ttys file, which will probably look something like
this:

#
[..]
#
ttyv0	"/usr/libexec/getty Pc"		cons25 	on  secure
# Virtual terminals
ttyv1	"/usr/libexec/getty Pc"		cons25 	on secure
ttyv2	"/usr/libexec/getty Pc"		cons25 	on secure
ttyv3	"/usr/libexec/getty Pc"		cons25 	on secure
ttyv4	"/usr/libexec/getty Pc"		cons25 off secure
# Hardwired terminals
[.. and so on ..]

Now, the very first entry that describes an "off" tty, or if none
are, the one right after the last one, THIS is where the (first)
X server is actually running.

So, just like it was a normal tty, you press Alt-Fn (Alt-F5, in
the above example), and back comes X.

>I tried it a couple of times to make sure I was doing as
>instructed, but without success.  Apparently SOME- thing must be
>configured differently to make this work.

Doubt it. Doesn't matter how it is configured, the above still
works, whether from an xdm or startx/xinit.

>> > Is there some way of starting xdm there automatically upon
>> > system boot?
>>
>> Sure. Start it from /etc/rc.local in daemon mode, or put it into
>> your /etc/ttys and start it up on any vt.
>
>So what would I put in either of those places to make it work, and
>what are the relative advantages and disadvantage of the two?

Already discussed on the list. If you start xdm in /etc/rc.local,
then if you kill the xdm process, it'll turn off X completely. If
you put it into /etc/ttys, then init will restart it each time
you kill it off.

> I assume that in ttys I turn ttyv3 off, but what else?

Well, you can either turn off ttyv3, or leave it the way it is an
add an extra (see below). Since I assume X works right now with
ttyv3 enabled, then ttyv4 has obviously been configured into the
kernel (how many consoles you actually have is stated in the
startup messages, which you can view with dmesg or via
/var/log/messages).

Now, to put xdm under auto-control of init, you use something
like this:

#
[..]
#
ttyv0	"/usr/libexec/getty Pc"		cons25 	on  secure
# Virtual terminals
ttyv1	"/usr/libexec/getty Pc"		cons25 	on secure
ttyv2	"/usr/libexec/getty Pc"		cons25 	on secure
ttyv3	"/usr/libexec/getty Pc"		cons25 	on secure
ttyv4	"/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon"  xterm   on secure
[.. and so on ..]

This starts one X server up on ttyv4 (and yes, as someone already
mentioned, you can have multiple :-)).

Actually, I recompiled my own kernel with 16 vt's and run X on
ttyvb (Alt-F12). I tend to use a few vts. :)

David Nugent, Unique Computing Pty Ltd - Melbourne, Australia
Voice +61-3-791-9547 Data/BBS +61-3-792-3507 3:632/348@fidonet
davidn@blaze.net.au http://www.blaze.net.au/~davidn