Date:      Fri, 22 Feb 2002 17:49:46 +0000
From:      Dominic Marks <dominic_marks@btinternet.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   frequent page fault panic

Hi,

I'm getting the same panic repeatedly on -STABLE. The time length
between panic's varies between about half an hour and several days. It
doesn't appear to be related to system load. The machine is used as a
Desktop - with a few things running. I put some load on the machine
(average of around 40.5 or so and lots of swapping) for an hour. The
machine was fine. That also makes me doubtful that this hardware
related. I have been unable to determine any particular pattern for
the occurance of these panics. There doesn't seem to be a trigger that
I've noticed.

=>
fault virtual address	= 0xc0bf9953
fault code				= supervisor write, page not present
instruction pointer		= 0x8:0xc02842ff
stack pointer	        = 0x10:0xcca0ff38
frame pointer	        = 0x10:0xcca0ff44
code segment			= base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
						= DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags		= interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 3
current process			= 67995 (XFree86)
interrupt mask			= net
trap number				= 12
panic: page fault
<=

=>
(gdb) bt
#0  0xc0131fa2 in dumpsys ()
#1  0xc0131d6c in boot ()
#2  0xc01321b9 in panic ()
#3  0xc01dafac in trap_fatal ()
#4  0xc01dac41 in trap_pfault ()
#5  0xc01da793 in trap ()
#6  0xc02842ff in ?? ()
#7  0xc02844ae in ?? ()
#8  0xc0284af1 in ?? ()
#9  0xc01ddeb3 in intr_mux ()
#10 0x87401af in ?? ()
#11 0x8740e35 in ?? ()
#12 0x8741d5e in ?? ()
#13 0x878a9b6 in ?? ()
#14 0x81616c5 in ?? ()
#15 0x816a4a7 in ?? ()
#16 0x816851e in ?? ()
#17 0x878afea in ?? ()
#18 0x81618e8 in ?? ()
#19 0x816a524 in ?? ()
#20 0x816b937 in ?? ()
#21 0x816ba21 in ?? ()
#22 0x80ac801 in ?? ()
#23 0x80bbb19 in ?? ()
#24 0x806a155 in ?? ()
<=

I'm currently rebuilding my kernel with debug sumbols so I can
provide a more meaningful backtrace.

I shall try and find out the problem, but my skills are still
immature. I can provide dmesg and other information on request. I'm
also not subscribed to freebsd-stable, so please keep me in the CC:
chain.

Thank You
--
Dominic