Date:      Fri, 22 Mar 2002 03:36:22 +0000
From:      "Jon Larssen" <jonlarssen@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Is ATA partially broken in -STABLE?

Hi,

I have just cvsup'd my -STABLE system running under VMware 3
Workstation under Windows 2000.  After making world and a
GENERIC kernel I can't boot into my system.  These are the
messages I get:

ata0-master: timeout waiting for interrupt
ata0-master: ATA identify failed
ata1-master: timeout waiting for interrupt
ata1-master: ATAPI identify failed
Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0s1a
no such device 'ad'
setrootbyname failed

and then of course will of course ask me to manually supply
the boot filesystem. What's is strange is that I kept an old
kernel that _does_ boot and finds ad.

Is ATA support semi-broken or I am the one broken? :^)

Best regards,
Jon.