Date:      Thu, 4 May 2006 16:47:43 +0200
From:      Rutger Bevaart <rutger.bevaart@illian-networks.nl>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: em(4) device still 'freezes' on latset CVSup'd 6.x ...

On May 4, 2006, at 4:30 PM, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> This is what we end up having to do ... but, unfortunately, that
> means getting ahold of our co-lo provider and asking them to do
> it ... they have always been most accomodating, its just one of
> those things that I shouldn't *have* to do :(

In colo or datacenter environments ISP's and Telco's are not too
eager about gratuitous ARPs, as they can be a sign of hacking
activities (trying to intercept traffic to neighboring hosts or
network devices). At any rate, the em-driver should broadcast the
same way as bge or any of the others. I'll try to capture some ARP
traffic on a em interface and see if it looks ok.

What would be the best way to add an alias IP without other funny
things in the OS being triggered? Just do 'ifconfig em1 (aliasip)
netmask (mask) bcast [bcat) alias' ?

Regards
Rutger