Date:      Tue, 18 Jul 2000 21:13:29 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: stupid installkernel question

On Tue, Jul 18, 2000 at 08:29:33PM +0100, j mckitrick wrote:

> i have been reading the makefiles and boot files to try to figure this one
> out.  i ran 'make installkernel KERNEL=MERCURY''and everything works fine.
> But i have 2 kernels in /
> One is kernel, one is MERCURY.  The modification date on 'kernel' is close
> to the one for MERCURY.  WHich one does my system boot with, and which can
> be deleted?
>
> In /boot, the config files seem to show 'kernel' being booted.  If so, why
> does MERCURY exist?

The one thing that most people seemed to miss in the long "HEADS UP!
Always use the 'make buildkernel' target to make" thread was David
Bushong's post about using ``makeoptions     KERNEL=kernel'' in your
kernel config file.

My last make world a few days ago I did added that line to my kernel
config file (PARISH) and ran:

       # make buildkernel KERNEL=PARISH
       # make installkernel KERNEL=PARISH

and the new kernel was installed as ``kernel''. There wasn't a PARISH
to be seen:

       # ls -l /kernel*
       -r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  2130600 14 Jul 22:40 /kernel
       -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel        0 22 Jan 13:40 /kernel.config
       -r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  2101964 14 Jul 19:54 /kernel.good
       -r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  2101964 21 May 04:24 /kernel.old
       #
(kernel.good was my own manual backup, just in case I misunderstood or
got it wrong).

HTH

> jm
> --

  If I buy a copy of WinDelete, and it doesn't delete Windows,
  am I entitled to my money back?