Date:      Wed, 11 Sep 2002 14:01:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Neal E. Westfall" <nwestfal@directvinternet.com>
To:        Joshua Lee <yid@softhome.net>
Cc:        keramida@ceid.upatras.gr, <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Why did evolution fail?

On Tue, 10 Sep 2002, Joshua Lee wrote:

> > > Kantian ethics are objective, I don't happen to like a few of the
> > > conclusions it reaches, but they are objective, without placing a
> >
> > Kant's whole philosophy was infected with subjectivism.
>
> In what way?

Because when you say that the mind is what imposes the order that we
see in the universe around us, you can never know if the ordering of
your own mind correlates with what is actually the case.  You could
also never know if anyone else's mind orders things the same way.
Ergo, subjectivism.

> > > Funny, you being a Protestant, I thought you would like Kant.
> >
> > What, you think Kant was a Christian?
>
> No, but his point of view is very much old-school Protestant. Keep in
> mind that his parents were 18th century German Pietists.

You must be smoking something.  Kant's views had more in common with
Protestant Liberalism and Neo-orthodoxy, which both trace their lineage
back to Kant.

> > What makes you think that?  I like the fact that he started asking
> > the right kinds of questions, given his work on transcendental
> > arguments, but the problem with Kant is that he still started with
> > man as his starting point, which is the source of the subjectivism
> > in his philosophy.
>
> No, with Kant, man was his *ending* point, not his starting point.

Okay, if you say so...