Date:      Tue, 3 Mar 1998 12:47:40 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Glenn Johnson <glenn@andover.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems accessing ftp site for installation.

On Sun, 1 Mar 1998, Glenn Johnson wrote:

> I have downloaded and constructed a FREEBSD disk maker, made a disk and
> started to install FREEBSD on one of my machines.  I get all the way
> through the installation, but when it comes to accessing the freebsd.org
> FTP site, it cannot conenct - it seems to hang up when adding default
> route.

This implies that the network information given for your workstation is
incorrect. Hit ALT-F2 and see what's up.

> Does FREEBSD need rights to program a CISCO router?  We don't have
> access to our router, as it is property of UUNET PIPEX.

You shouldn't need to access your router's configuration.  You don't have
the password anyway, do you? :-)

> I have also tried to download the freebsd 2.2.5 release section of your
> ftp site and made a local ftp server here using WARFTP and tried to
> access like that.  This works fine, apart from it can't seem to see some
> of the directory structure!  Could you tell me how I should construct
> the dir's and where I should have files located please.  Could you also
> tell me how much disk space I would need.

I dunno offhand; our mirror is 43MB and is pretty bare-bones.

> Your answers are much appreciated.  Congratulations on such a great
> project - I have been looking to use UNIX for quite a while - this seems
> an excellent opportunity to indulge!!

Thanks and enjoy!  Let us know if you have any questions, and don't forget
to RTFM!