Date:      Mon, 21 Feb 2005 10:58:54 -0600
From:      "Andrew L. Gould" <algould@datawok.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Peterhin <hindrich@worldchat.com>
Subject:   Re: Trying to get X working.

On Monday 21 February 2005 10:37 am, Peterhin wrote:
> I have installed Freebsd 5.3, and I am at Chapter 5.6 of the
> handbook, and really can't figure out where to go from here.
> How do I start XDM? or do I do that with 'startx'. If so I have a
> further problem, in that when I try 'startx' I get 'Fatal server
> error; no screens found' also 'X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit
> kill of server shutdown). xauth: (argv):1: bad display name
> "Quercus:0" in "remove" command
> Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am a newbie to  CLI, and
> the NIX environment.
>

> Peter
>
> "Civil Liberties are at the whim of those in power"

If you haven't followed the directions in Chapter 5.4, go back and do
that first.

Before xdm (or kdm or gdm) or startx will work, you need to have a
good  /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.

startx is for starting X Window from the command line after bootup.
xdm, kdm and gdm are daemons start X Window at bootup and provide a GUI
logon.

Best of luck,

Andrew Gould