Date:      Thu, 6 Jun 1996 19:36:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Utz <spaz@u.washington.edu>
To:        Sean Kelly <kelly@fsl.noaa.gov>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rcmd: socket: Permission denied

Sean! Right again!

On Thu, 6 Jun 1996, Sean Kelly wrote:

>     John> Hello gang; I managed to convince the latest wine snapshot
>     John> to eat my filesystem on one of my machines.

>     John> downstairs: {1} rsh mira ls rcmd: socket: Permission denied
>
>     John> it works fine if i do it as root. what permissions have i
>     John> screwed up?
>
> Permissions on rsh maybe:
>
>    rosemary 327 > uname -r
>    2.1.0-RELEASE
>    rosemary 328 > ls -l `which rsh`
>    -r-sr-xr-x  1 root  bin  12288 Nov 16  1995 /usr/bin/rsh

there are two rsh's in 2.1.0. One is in /stand and one is in /usr/bin. the
one in stand does not have an s bit, it has an x bit! Thus it would not
work. The reason this came up was because i placed /stand in my path
before anything else ( idiocy does it again ).

tnx!

 John Utz	spaz@u.washington.edu
	idiocy is the impulse function in the convolution of life