Date:      Fri, 1 May 2020 12:51:26 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Matthias Gamsjager <mgamsjager@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD-speedometer?

On Fri, 1 May 2020 11:21:56 +0200, Matthias Gamsjager wrote:
>   We have binary package so you don't have to compile your self.
> Of course it is a choice to compile everything but why would you want to do
> that on a small machine?

Why? Especially because! :-)

In ye olden times, you often used source-based installation
methods to tweak the amount of what gets installed (memory
footprint), and you dealt with cimpile-time options to get
faster software - faster than what the default configuration
allowed. For example, system tools could be omitted, or the
kernel could be configured in a way to only contain the
stuff needed for a particular system. It was also useful
for ports where you needed to deviate from the default
options, or where you were forced (!) to use source-based
installs due to licensing restrictions.

For those who wish to track -STABE or -HEAD, source-based
installations are mandatory. Maybe someone wants to check
if a specific patch works as intended - the whole system
or just one of its components can be built and installed.
This currently is impossible with binary packages.

While I personally enjoy using binary packages, they are
not an answer to every scenario, because there simply is
no "one size fits all egg-laying wool-milk-sow".

Machines equipped with slower disks and less memory will
of course need more time to build something. This is why
several users keep their machine running at night where
it can compile happily. On a 150 MHz Pentium with 64 MB
RAM, building a kernel required a few hours, and the whole
system needed 24 hours to build. With today's hardware,
compile times are faster. And especially for building ports,
some people use their own build servers (real or VM) for
this task.

> If you really want to see how fast it could go. Spin up a machine on AWS
> with the memory and CPUs you would compare it to.

Comparing bare metal to virtual metal is like cheating
in statistics - choose your test subjects in a specific
way to get any result you want. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany