Date:      Sun, 12 Nov 2000 12:12:54 -0800 (PST)
From:      Ken Bolingbroke <hacker@bolingbroke.com>
To:        WAT Engineering <support@watcorp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: best method to upgrade a 2.2.5 server to  4.1

On Sun, 12 Nov 2000, WAT Engineering wrote:

> We're looking for a 2.2.5 cdrom image.  We want to build a test server to
> work on this upgrade procedure.  We have a couple of customers with 2.2.5
> servers and would like to have the remote upgrade procedure down pat.  We
> can't seem to find our 2.2.5 CD or any images out on the mirrors.

You can always check out the source with the CVS tag RELENG_2_2_5 and then
build your own release, in theory at least.  I haven't tried it myself.

I did a source upgrade from 2.2.5 to 4.1.1 a couple months ago, and aside
from a few hiccups during the process, I was able to do it successfully.
I've included an earlier message on what it took to do that down below.

For what it's worth, I did this for kicks and because I hate throwing away
good hardware (I still have a '386 in active use running FreeBSD).  But in
a production environment, I would definitely prefer to do a hardware
upgrade and migrate the data to the new machine.  If you're talking about
a server that was installed when 2.2.5 was new, then it's probably a
Pentium or Pentium Pro and overdue for an overhaul.  With a new machine,
you just install the current version of FreeBSD, current versions of any
applications, and migrate your data.  This approach, while costing more,
will save you tons of aggravation in time and effort over migrating while
keeping the old hardware, not to mention getting a big performance boost
with more modern hardware.

Ken