Date:      Thu, 28 Mar 1996 20:09:09 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        SETH ASIAW <100547.1477@compuserve.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Installation

On 28 Mar 1996, SETH ASIAW wrote:

> Anyway my system is 386DX 40Mhz, 8Mbytes RAM
> 125Mbytes HD(Drive C:), 175Mbytes HD(Drive D:) both Seagate and
> Creative CDROM drive(Drive E:) CR-563 and Panasonic setting on the Sound Card.
> I have run Defrag and the space left on drive D is 90Mbytes.I have MS
> DoubleSpace
> and MagnaRam2. If I try to use FIPS from e:\tools, the message I get is:
> CDR101:Not ready, reading drive E
> Abort, Retry, Fail?

Hm.  My guess is that you need to read the usage instructions for FIPS,
which should be included on the CDROM, or in FIPS's distribution zipfile
in \tools\dist.

You should be using it on a clean-boot floppy, not directly from the CDROM
or on an active disk (especially one using DoubleSpace).

One other note:  Be aware of the can of worms you are opening...FreeBSD
requires time and energy and lots of TLC to get going.  It's not as easy
as DOS, where you can install-and-go.

90MB is going to be a tight installation.