Date:      Sun, 20 May 2001 12:58:05 +0200
From:      Szilveszter Adam <sziszi@petra.hos.u-szeged.hu>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: panic: mutex vm not owned...

Hello,

I am back with more information.

The machine had been up mostly idle for about 1 1/2 hours again.
I am starting to
suspect that it is being idle that may also trip the wire here... maybe,
given my 128megs of RAM and 300 megs of swap, that's when my computer
decides that it's time to swap some stuff and boom.

Alfred's patch indeed seems to have changed things a bit:

It paniced after 1h37m uptime during a CVS checkout, with the following:

panic: sleeping with vm_mtx held

trace:
Debugger
panic
msleep
swap_pager_getpages
vm_fault1
vm_fault
trap_pfault
trap
calltrap
---trap 0xc, eip= 0x2824dc2e, esp=0xbfbfe16c, ebp=0xbfbfe160

then after 'c':

syncing disks... panic: mutex vm owned at ../../kern/vfs_bio:2998

nice long trace:

Debugger
panic
_mtx_assert
vfs_busy_pages
bwrite
vfs_bio_awrite
spec_fsync
spec_vnoperate
ffs_sync
sync
boot
panic
msleep
swap_pager_getpages
vm_fault1
vm_fault
trap_pfault
trap
calltrap

and again the same trap message like above.

After hitting 'c', it freezes at the dumping: resetting devices part.

This starts to become interesting... will follow up with more when found.

--
Regards:

Szilveszter ADAM
Szeged University