Date:      Fri, 28 Sep 2001 21:43:32 +0200
From:      "Karsten W. Rohrbach" <karsten@rohrbach.de>
To:        Dan <dphoenix@bravenet.com>
Cc:        kbstew99@hotmail.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: power supplies

--V0207lvV8h4k8FAm

Dan(dphoenix@bravenet.com)@2001.09.27 20:04:40 +0000:
>=20
> ya but even putting the old nic back in the machine does not still boot
> up. I don't think this has to do with the nic but you never know.
> fxp1: <Intel Pro 10/100B/100+ Ethernet>

questions of the pragmatic field-engineer:
"did it produce any smoke?"
"did it stink?"
"does it still stink, even if it's turned off?"

q3 if answered with yes means that the electret condenser are gone. had
this with a whole series of korean 300va atx power supplies.

you don't happen to have those nice nvidia or voodoo agp4x cards in
there, don't you? if yes -> kick'em out, they don't do any good in
servers. rageiic or other agp1x cards <$20 have proven to be the best
choice for me.

good luck,
/k

>=20
>=20
>=20
> On Thu, 27 Sep 2001, Kent Stewart wrote:
>=20
> > Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 19:38:55 -0700
> > From: Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
> > To: Dan <dphoenix@bravenet.com>
> > Cc: freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
> > Subject: Re: power supplies
> >

> > Dan wrote:
> > >
> > > I had the stangest situation today where a new nic card was put into a
> > > machine and then the machine did not start up. Placed the old nic card
> > > back in the box and it still did not start up. Switched power supplies
> > > with an exactly equal box and both machine booted up fine. This has
> > > happened twice since we started replacing nic cards today with ones w=
ith
> > > more buffer space available on them out of about 8 machines now.
> > >
> > > Does this make any sense to anyone?
> >
> > There are problems with PSes when you use NICs with wake up
> > capability. The NIC may exceed the capability of one of your low
> > amperage voltages.
> >
> > Kent
> >

> > > --
> > > Dan
> > >
> > > +------------------------------------------------------+
> > > |              BRAVENET WEB SERVICES                   |
> > > |                 dan@bravenet.com                     |
> > > |      screen;cd /usr/src;make buildworld;cd ~         |
> > > |     cp MYKERNEL /sys/i386/conf;cd /usr/src           |
> > > |        make buildkernel KERNCONF=3DMYKERNEL            |
> > > |make installkernel KERNCONF=3DMYKERNEL;make installworld|
> >
> > --
> > Kent Stewart
> > Richland, WA
> >
> > mailto:kbstew99@hotmail.com
> > http://kstewart.urx.com/kstewart/index.html
> > FreeBSD News http://daily.daemonnews.org/
> >
>=20
>=20

--=20
> Yes, it is inconvenient.  Security and convenience are usually mutually
> exclusive concepts. --Erik Trulsson on freebsd-stable, Jun 2001
KR433/KR11-RIPE -- WebMonster Community Founder -- nGENn GmbH Senior Techie
http://www.webmonster.de/ -- ftp://ftp.webmonster.de/ -- http://www.ngenn.n=
et/
karsten&rohrbach.de -- alpha&ngenn.net -- alpha&scene.org -- catch@spam.de
GnuPG 0x2964BF46 2001-03-15 42F9 9FFF 50D4 2F38 DBEE  DF22 3340 4F4E 2964 B=
F46
Please do not remove my address from To: and Cc: fields in mailing lists. 1=
0x

--V0207lvV8h4k8FAm

--V0207lvV8h4k8FAm--