Date:      Mon, 12 Nov 2001 19:10:50 -0500
From:      John De Boskey <jwd@bsdwins.com>
To:        Francisco Reyes <lists@natserv.com>
Cc:        "Martin J. Muench" <muench@gmc-online.de>, FreeBSD Security List <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Free or Commercial crypto filesystem?

----- Francisco Reyes's Original Message -----
> On Sun, 4 Nov 2001, Martin J. Muench wrote:
>
> > > Any currently working crypto filesystem for FreeBSD?
> > CFS (Cryptographic File System): /usr/ports/security/cfs
>
> I looked at cfs and it doesn't seem like any work is been done on it.

Install the cfs port.

freebsd2:ports %make search key=cfs
Port:   cfs-1.4.0b2
Info:   A cryptographic file system implemented as a user-space NFS server
Maint:  green@FreeBSD.org
Index:  security

reboot or otherwise make sure the daemon is started/running.

mkdir /crypt

Set up a mount line:
    localhost:/null /crypt nfs rw,noauto,port=3049,intr,nfsv2 0 0

cmkdir  to create an encrypted directory;
cattach to attach to the directory each time you log in; eg,

cattach /ext/obtuse

now /crypt/obtuse is the plaintext view of the encrypted /ext/obtuse
directory.

Without knowing what you mean by no work being done on it
it's hard to provide any specific answers.

Is this really a -security issue or more of a -questions topic?

-John