Date:      Thu, 21 Jun 2001 23:51:44 -0400
From:      Brian Dean <bsd@bsdhome.com>
To:        Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@flugsvamp.com>
Cc:        mikulas@artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Patented algorithm in FreeBSD

On Mon, Jun 11, 2001 at 05:37:56PM -0500, Jonathan Lemon wrote:
> Hmm, let's see:
>
> 	Assignee: Digital Equipment Corporation (Maynard, MA)
> 	Appl. No.: 646734
> 	Filed: May 3, 1996
>
> Versus:
>
>      * Derived from hp300 version by Mike Hibler, this version by William
>      * Jolitz uses a recursive map [a pde points to the page directory] to
>      * map the page tables using the pagetables themselves. This is done to
>      * reduce the impact on kernel virtual memory for lots of sparse address
>      * space, and to reduce the cost of memory to each process.
>      *
>      *      from: hp300: @(#)pmap.h 7.2 (Berkeley) 12/16/90
>      *      from: @(#)pmap.h        7.4 (Berkeley) 5/12/91
>
> So it looks like we have prior art by around 6 years, which would
> invalidate the patent iff it was the same thing.

[rummaging through my old box of manuals... Aha!]

This also appears to be _very_ similar to the scheme described by
Intel themselves in a skinny little book entitled "80386 System
Software Writer's Guide", ISBN 1-55512-023-7, Intel order number
231499-001.  This book is dated 1987 and describes the handy recursive
page table mapping starting at the bottom of page 2-18.

-Brian