Date:      Thu, 10 Dec 1998 22:03:44 +0100 (MET)
From:      Mats Lofkvist <mal@algonet.se>
To:        tlambert@primenet.com
Cc:        alk@pobox.com, tlambert@primenet.com, peter@netplex.com.au, gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG, marcelk@stack.nl, smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Pthreads and SMP

Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com> wrote:
   The problem with kernel threads is that, barring everything else,
   the threads will migrate randomly between processors, cache-busting
   as they go, and you won't get significant benefit from having
   multiple processors at all.  Only multiple processes really gain
   benefit from SMP given the current scheduler.

(Sorry for the delay, but I have been thinking about this
 on and off for a few days now and I still don't get it :-)

Are you saying that processes migrating randomly between processors,
cache busting as they go, is less of a problem for a given parallell
application than kernel threads doing the same?  Or that the scheduler
is able to keep processes mostly on the same processor but would not
easily be made able to do the same for kernel threads?

      _
Mats Lofkvist
mal@algonet.se