Date:      Wed, 15 May 2002 17:35:19 -0700
From:      JJ Behrens <jj@nttmcl.com>
To:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>, Chip Wiegand <chip@wiegand.org>, Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>, mike@adept.org
Subject:   Re: makeworld problem - my first attempt at this

> > [...]
> > > #make installworld
> > > 	faild again, same message as before - required smmsp user is 	missing.
> > > According to UPDATING running mergemaster would take care of 	this
> > > problem.
> > >
> > > That is where I am stuck. What to do now?
> >
> > You can add the smmsp user and group manually to /etc/master.passwd and
> > /etc/group. Remember to run pwd_mkdb, and then try the mergemaster again
> > --
> > Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>
>
> Thanks for the tips guys, it's running right now, has been for a while.
> I ran pwd_mkdb /etc/master.passwd, then ran mergemaster -p, and this
> time it worked. I don't know why mergemaster -p didn't work before. Even
> the -help screen did not show -p as an available option.
> Anyway, my first time at this and it appears to be going okay for now.

Hey everyone,

Do you think this is because he was running an older very of mergemaster?
Perhaps it was necessary to run the recently built mergemaster.  Afterall,
mergemaster -p is run *before* make installworld and is thus an older version.
Whereas, when running mergemaster after make installworld, the newer version
is being used.  Perhaps we should document that when you use mergemaster -p,
it's probably safer to use the full path to the recently built mergemaster.

-jj

--
Users of C++ should consider hanging themselves rather than shooting their
legs off--it's best not to use C++ simply as a better C.