Date:      Mon, 23 Jul 2001 14:05:40 -0400
From:      Jason Stewart <jstewart@rtl.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SirCam virus

At our shop, we just mangle the known executable file extensions with=20
procmail. If someone needs to execute the file, they call the IS department=
=20
and we instruct them to re-name the attachment after we figure out what it=
=20
contains. We do not use Outlook for a mail client also. About once a week I=
=20
get a call... 'I cannot open this attatchment!!!! What do I do!??! This=20
must be important because its from the president of one of our affiliates!'=
=20
To which I respond.... 'It's a good thing that you couldn't open it,=20
because it is a virus......'.

Jason Stewart

At 12:47 PM 7/23/2001 -0400, Louis LeBlanc wrote:
> [...]
>
>If I can just tell sendmail to use procmail to handle local delivery,
>I suspect this would simplify my configuration headaches.
>
>Any ideas there?
>
>As for procmail, Thierry, I highly recommend it.  Especially if your
>users tend to subscribe to mailing lists.  I have found that it really
>helps when some other subscriber goes on vacation and forgets to
>exclude the list from vacation responses - vicious circle.  I just put
>the sender (usually a postmaster id) into a killfile, and I never have
>to see the hundreds of messages generated by the cycle.  Just the
>dozens of others that respond to bitch about it - resulting in more
>messages.
>
>Recently, I thought about using the Cyrus Sieve tool, which is
>supposed to be a replacement for procmail, but I decided to stick with
>what I knew.  If you want to start with an integrated tool, you might
>want to check it out.  I for one still like the Unix mentality - a
>tool should do one thing and do it well.
>
>Lou
>
>On 07/23/01 01:14 AM, Ted Mittelstaedt sat at the `puter and typed:
> > cyrus is not relevent to this discussion.  Your not replacing it,
> > your replacing the local delivery program.  cyrus gets the
> > message well after the local delivery program (ie: procmail)
> > has finished with it.
> >
> > The way it works now is that the message comes in, is accepted by
> > sendmail which passes it to the local delivery program mail.local,
> > which writes it into /var/mail/username.  cyrus then picks it up
> > from there when a imap or pop request comes in and delivers it out
> > via imap or pop.
> >
> > The way you want it to work is the message comes in, is accepted by
> > sendmail which passes it to the local delivery program procmail,
> > which filters it for spam and for this virus, then writes it into
> > /var/mail/username.  cyrus then picks it up from there when a imap or=
 pop
> > request comes in and delivers it out via imap or pop.
> >
> > All that feature does that I mention in the article is change the line
> > in sendmail.cf
> >
> > Mlocal,         P=3D/usr/libexec/mail.local, F=3DlsDFMAw5:/|@qPSXfmnz9P,
> > S=3DEnvFromL/
> > HdrFromL, R=3DEnvToL/HdrToL,
> >
> > to a Mlocal line that replaces mail.local with the procmail invocation.
> >
> > You want to spend some time reading the procmail mailing list and
> > documentation for some more detailed answers.  But it's not that hard
> > and also procmail is the default local delivery program for GNU/Linux
> > so there's plenty of info out there on it in the Linux mailing list
> > archives.  (although a lot of Linux people use postfix instead of
> > sendmail, yech!)
> >
> > Ted=20
> Mittelstaedt                                       tedm@toybox.placo.com
> > Author of:                           The FreeBSD Corporate Networker's=

 How