Date:      Mon, 26 Nov 2001 17:35:44 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Panic changing screen mode with vidcontrol

Having installed a new kernel and userland from sources about a day
old, my vidcontrol command now causes a panic:

Fatal trap 12: page fault while in vm86 mode
fault virtual address   = 0xc359b
fault code              = user read, page not present
instruction pointer     = 0xc000:0x359b
stack pointer           = 0x0:0xf82
frame pointer           = 0x0:0xfdc
code segment            = base 0x20000, limit 0x5004f, type 0x0
                        = DPL 0, pres 0, def32 0, gran 0
processor eflags        = interrupt enabled, resume, vm86, IOPL = 0
current process         = 57775 (vidcontrol)

The backtrace shows nothing useful - gdb doesn't seem to handle
tracing through vm86 :-(.

The command I used was "vidcontrol 132x60" after confirming that
this was listed in "vidcontrol -i mode".  I have previously been
using VESA_132x60, but that also panics now.

Any suggestions where to look?

Peter