Date:      Fri, 23 Nov 2001 21:46:37 +0000
From:      Marc Silver <marcs@draenor.org>
To:        Murray Stokely <murray@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A guide to securing FreeBSD 4.x -STABLE ??

Hi,

On Fri, Nov 23, 2001 at 07:17:14AM -0800, Murray Stokely wrote:
>   This looks like a nice article, and I notice that we don't have any
> other articles on securing a FreeBSD system at
> http://www.freebsd.org/docs.html (although we do have a chapter of the
> Handbook dedicated to this).

I'd certainly like to have it up as an article, and possibly include
parts of it that are good enough into the handbook?  It all depends on
how you feel?

The feedback from the FreeBSD-security list has been limited to personal
replies to me, but have all been very positive, so I dont think there's
anything _too_ wrong with the document, besides the fact that it still
needs some work in my eyes.

>   All of our documentation is maintained in DocBook SGML.  This gives
> us many benefits, not the least of which is the ability to generate
> many different output formats from a single source document.  If
> someone helps convert this document to DocBook SGML, will you still be
> able to help keep it updated?  Have you read through our Doc Project
> Primer for new contributors?

The article 'Dialup firewalling with FreeBSD' was written by me about a
year ago, and was converted from HTML to Docbook by Nik Clayton for me
if I recall correctly, and I have maintained it since by sending changes
I've made to the document in the form of patches with 'send-pr'.

My Docbook knowledge isn't strong enough for me to start this document
from scratch, but if someone could convert it to Docbook, I could
certainly learn try and learn some Docbook in that time, and could
maintain and develop the document in the future.

>   http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/fdp-primer/

Thanks... I will check this out...

- Marc

--
I've learned that being kind is more important than being right.
        -- Andy Rooney