Date:      Thu, 4 Dec 2003 21:06:53 -0600
From:      "Val P" <secureplay@sbcglobal.net>
To:        <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   IP address conflict (transparent bridge)

I have a bridge configured as follows:

Bge0	- management interface, ip a.b.c.d
Bge1	- down (not used)
Bge2 	- "inside" bridge leg, no ip, layer-2 only
Bge3	- "outside" bridge leg, no ip, layer-2 only

Now, I am seeing some weird behavior. If I try to do any type of  net =
access
over bge0, I get console messages such as (paraphrasing, since I don't =
have
it in front of me):

/kernel: arp: 1.2.3.4.5.6 is using my ip address a.b.c.d!
/kernel: arp: 7.8.9.10.11.12 is using my ip address a.b.c.d!

1.2.3.4.5.6 is the mac of the bge0 interface
7.8.9.10.11.12 is the mac of the bge3 interface

So in other words, why am I getting a conflict between the management
interface and a leg of the bridge? Is there some weird loop going on? =
There
is no bridging loop happening, this is the only bridge on the subnet and
connects two datacenter switches (it's a firewall). The router is =
upstream
on the bge3 side of the bridge.

All these interfaces appear to be working fine, the  machine is bridging =
and
I can use the management interface with no apparent problems. If I ping
continuously, I get those two messages with every ping. Same for telnet,
etc. These messages only appeared for the past week, after the machine =
was
brought down and back up.=20

This is freebsd 4.8. stock ipf is in use, ipfw is not in use. Disabling =
ipf
makes no difference.

Any input would be appreciated.=20