Date:      Tue, 8 Oct 1996 23:25:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Michael Dillon <michael@memra.com>
To:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        install@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@freebsd.ord
Subject:   Re: Problem setting up nntpd

On Wed, 9 Oct 1996, Daniel C. Fifield wrote:

> I am attempting to setup nntpd.  I installed it and changed the owner and
> group to news on all the files.  I also changed the nntp line in the
> /etc/inetd.conf file to look like:
>
> nntp    stream  tcp     nowait  news    /usr/local/libexec/nntpd        nntpd
>
> I sent a HUP signal to the inetd process, but I am still getting
> Connection Refused if I attempt to telnet to the 119 port.

You posted this to the ISP mailing list, therefore you are doing
*EVERYTHING* wrong. You should be running INN instead and if you have
problems with that 95% are answered in the excellent INN FAQ and the rest
can be discussed in news.software.nntp

NNTPD is only intended for very small news servers.

Michael Dillon                   -               ISP & Internet Consulting
Memra Software Inc.              -                  Fax: +1-604-546-3049
http://www.memra.com             -               E-mail: michael@memra.com