Date:      Thu, 25 Jun 2015 18:46:54 -0400
From:      Quartz <quartz@sneakertech.com>
To:        jd1008 <jd1008@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Users <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: latest install DVD

> A friend asks if the latest fbsd installation DVD will
> also install multiple Destops (like Gnome, Mate, lxde, ...etc)
> for him to try out, along with the gui apps like
> thunderbird, firefox, smplayer , .... etc.

Not really. Assuming I'm reading the package manifests correctly,
dvd1.iso appears to have gnome (and its children, like evolution), kde
(and its children), firefox, and webkit. The dvd is only 2.5gb and
mainly comes with a whole bunch of libraries/languages/utilities, rather
than full programs.

I'd suggest he look at PC-BSD instead; it's a distribution of freebsd
meant for desktops and workstations and includes a lot more of that
stuff by default.