Date:      Sat, 15 May 1999 16:42:52 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Studded <Studded@gorean.org>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG, davids@webmaster.com
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/pci pcisupport.c

> we tried. My point is that you can't have it both ways. You can't say
> "FreeBSD is a valid solution for the real world demands of commercial use"
> and at the same time say "but we have no responsibility to actually respond
> to real world needs."

Sorry to disappoint you, but that's exactly what we have.  You're
falling into the same trap as the others again - you're looking at a
free software product as somehow equivalent to commercial OSes in
every respect and of course that's not the case.

Just because FreeBSD is a "valid solution for the real world demands
of yadda yadda" (and it is) doesn't make it an *equivalent* solution
to a fully commercial product and you need to understand and
appreciate the limitations of having an all-volunteer crew when you
sign on.

FreeBSD is at the stage where its very professionalism becomes
something of a liability in this respect, our simulation of commercial
OS development being close enough that many people have begun to
perceive us as playing in the same pool as Solaris or SCO in every
respect.  This is not the case, and it's not a question of technical
merit, speedy response to users questions, comparative bug counts or
any of the things that engineers measure when they're assessing the
worthiness of a commercial OS solution, it's a question of
predictability.

I cannot predict to a "customer" just when feature X is going to make
it in or if the 3 developers currently working on it will remain there
and not go onto something else, or even if feature X will remain a
priority for the project at large.  In a commercial OS, the marketing
department sets the objectives and lots of engineers are paid to
fulfill them - whether they're the right objectives or not, or whether
the engineers actually succeed is almost immaterial.  What's important
is that the company in question can tell its customers that a
committment to feature X exists and is part of the operating system's
road map.  I, on the other hand, can make vague hand-waving motions
about how someone MIGHT be working on this and it MIGHT become a
feature that's actually usable, but there's no predictability at all.
What you're buying for your money is predictability, not quality, not
even assurances that you'll make it, simply the ability to say that
work is being done in a "serious" manner.

To put it another way, when people ask me what new features will be in
FreeBSD over the next 12 months, I have to shrug my shoulders and say
"how the hell should I know?" This also comes as quite a shock to
folks who think I'm somehow supposed to know these things or that it's
even possible to know.  When you have a set of developers who fade in
and out at random intervals or who accomplish sudden, superhuman feats
of programming and move long-stalled projects forward by months in
just a few days, you can't predict a thing.

I also used the plan out all the things that "would be really nice" at
the beginning of the year and post this as a roadmap, but these
roadmaps turned into liabilities once I found out how few of the items
on it got done at the end of the year and that users expected ALL of
those items to have been done, treating the roadmap as more of a
committment, and got very pissy about it when only some of the
"promises" were fulfilled.  It doesn't matter how many disclaimers you
slap on it either, people expect us to fulfill our mission statements
just like the commercial organizations do.

> As for your other argument INRE "that's a good idea but we have no one to
> do it," that's a copout, plain and simple. If the project had adopted a

No, it's the truth, plain and simple.  Where are your contributions?
If you want more predictability and scheduling, then be a part of the
solution rather than part of the problem.  I just see a lot of vague,
pointless bitching here and I honestly don't see anything more than
that.

- Jordan