Date:      Thu, 5 Dec 1996 11:50:42 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Ramin Javanbakht <ramin@kitkut.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing web server on freebsd box

On Thu, 5 Dec 1996, Ramin Javanbakht wrote:

This has been answered twice, but I want the definitive word :)

> 	I have installed freebsd on my 486 machine. I have a hard time to install
> apache_1.1.1 web server on my machine. I have tried installing from DOS
> partition and also file system. I have been using  /stand/sysinstall to
> perform this task. However, no matter what, it comes up with message "can't
> find apache_1.1.1 package on the medium specified". PLEASE HELP.

Don't use sysinstall to install packages.

Mount your DOS partition with

mount -t msdos /dev/wd0 /mnt

copy the package file from your DOS partition to your FreeBSD partition,
restoring the name to the original long one:

cp /mnt/freebsd/packages/apache-1.1 ~/apache-1.1.tgz

Now use the pkg_add command to install it:

pkg_add ~/apache-1.1.tgz

All as root of course.