Date:      26 Mar 2001 20:13:49 EST
From:      "Mark Sergeant" <mark.sergeant@snsonline.net>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, stephenj <stephenj@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem With NEWFS When Installing FreeBSD;

I find the easiest way to setup a new drive if you are inexperienced is to use
/stand/sysinstall and then configure, fdisk & label (ensure you write these
changes). This should work nicely.

Cheers,

Mark

On Tue, 27 Mar 2001 10:33:20 +0930, Greg Lehey said:

> On Monday, 26 March 2001 at 17:19:32 +0100, stephenj wrote:
>  > Hello,
>  >
>  > I'm a newbie to FreeBsd and am trying my best to install it, I seem to get a
>  > problem back from NEWFS, it claims that my 'device is not configured'. I am
>  > installing to a empty harddisk, which happens to be a 'slave' drive in my
>  > system. I have set the option for NEWFS to what I think is correct for my
>  > harddrive (as well as trying the default)... I also used all the automatic
>  > options when slicing and creating partitions for the disk.
>  >
>  > 'newfs /dev/adlsla: Device Not Configured' - the original error i get back
>  > on standard error
>  >
>  > The problems results in an error that says 'unable to swap /dev/adb1s1b' and
>  > 'unable to make new root filesystem on /dev/ad1sla' on the install
>  > screen.
>
>  This looks like you've given the wrong names, either here or in your
>  setup.  What exactly did you enter?
>
>  Greg
>  --
>  When replying to this message, please copy the original recipients.
>  If you don't, I may ignore the reply.
>  For more information, see http://www.lemis.com/questions.html
>  Finger grog@lemis.com for PGP public key
>  See complete headers for address and phone numbers

	GREAT MOMENTS IN AMERICAN HISTORY #21 -- July 30, 1917

On this day, New York City hotel detectives burst in and caught then-
Senator Warren G. Harding in bed with an underage girl.  He bought them
off with a $20 bribe, and later remarked thankfully, "I thought I
wouldn't get out of that under $1000!"	Always one to learn from his
mistakes, in later years President Harding carried on his affairs in a
tiny closet in the White House Cabinet Room while Secret Service men
stood lookout.