Date:      Tue, 5 Jan 1999 07:30:30 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
To:        Steve Willoughby <steve@alchemy.com>
Cc:        Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>, rick hamell <hamellr@dsinw.com>, Marc Giannoni <marc@versa.eng.comsat.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Console Switchboxes

On Mon, 4 Jan 1999, Steve Willoughby wrote:

> This one (Belkin OmniView) is cascadable so that you can put up to 64
> systems on a single console, like this:
>                _______
> [monitor]-----|       |
> [keyboard]----|_______|
>                | | | |      _______
>        [cpu1]__| | | |_____|       |
>        [cpu2]____| |       |_______|
>        [cpu3]______|        | | | |
>        [cpu4]_______________| | | |
>        [cpu5]_________________| | |
>        [cpu6]___________________| |
>
> but it's not behaving like the manual claims it should either.  I get
> the same "keyboard loss" problem when switching to any of the CPUs on
> the 2nd-tier switchbox.  I have to power-cycle the 1st-tier box to get
> them back.  So nothing's a perfect solution, it seems :)

Odd, we use the Omniview extensively at work (The 6port version),
including cascaded arrangements larger than you're using here (16 CPUs,
though we're considering bumping that to over 30), and have seen no
problems like this. I think it does depend on the keyboard BIOS, though
just about any reasonable keyboard BIOS seems to work well.