Date:      Tue, 18 Jul 2000 01:55:25 GMT
From:      mike@sentex.net (Mike Tancsa)
To:        scarleton@miltonstreet.com (Sam Carleton)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: setting up email only accounts

On 16 Jul 2000 18:59:11 -0400, in sentex.lists.freebsd.questions you wrote:

>I am setting up a machine that is going to offer web based and pop3
>email to people.  I am going to be using sendmail as the mail server.
>It is my understanding that I will have to have user accounts for each
>user that has an email account on the machine.  I want these accounts
>setup such that they cannot telnet/ssh/rsh/ftp into the machine.  Is
>there any easy way of doing that with FreeBSD?

There are a number of ways... see
/etc/login.access
give the users a shell that is /sbin/nologin
and with the integrated sshd, see the config option AllowGroups. In
/etc/inetd.conf, all you really want is pop3, and perhaps indent for
sendmail if you want that... Generally just use ssh, dont bother with
telnet/rsh/ftp

	---Mike
Mike Tancsa  (mdtancsa@sentex.net)
Sentex Communications Corp,
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
"Given enough time, 100 monkeys on 100 routers
could setup a national IP network." (KDW2)