Date:      Tue, 22 Aug 2000 11:50:30 +0100
From:      Tony Balazs <tony@rothstein.co.uk>
To:        'FreeBSD-Newbies' <FreeBSD-Newbies@FreeBSD.org>, 'FreeBSD-Questions' <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   CGI problem suddenly appeared (4.0 Stable)

I have been trying out a few Perl CGIs recently.
I had them running fine as
# perl cgifile.pl
or

from Netscape as (in my case)
http://1.0.0.177/cgi-bin/cgifile.pl

but since setting up Apache as a Proxy
Server, the Netscape way is no longer working although
#perl cgifile.pl is still OK.

Apache is working fine for dial-outs to the WWW from
both the local machine and the LAN (I have ppp -auto ISP
running) but is refusing connections to
http://1.0.0.177/cgi-bin/cgifile.pl from the local machine
and from the LAN.

I have tried chmods 705 755 and even 777 for cgifile.pl
to no avail and as far as I can see, /etc/hosts.allow is
allowing local connections OK.

To reiterate, I could run my pl files from
Netscape before setting up Apache as a Proxy
Server and so assume that the problem is something to
do with this.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Tony.